Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Tuesday Stack - What's all this about Low Volume Fabric?

This week's Tuesday Stack is all about Low Volume fabrics.  I get people who ask; "what do you mean by Low Volume?".  So I have attempted to explain what it means to me below, with some examples.  I am not saying this is the definition as I am sure others may interpret it differently.

The term low volume fabric is a relatively new one in the quilting world.  It refers to fabrics which have a white, cream, taupe or light grey background which when put with other fabrics in a quilt read as white or light.  Low volume fabrics can have prints on them, but the prints do not tend to have colour in them or if they do very little.  

Fashion Magazine White by Suzuko Koseki (included in this week's stack) for example features a little colour.  I love this fabric and have used it a number of times as a low volume fabric.

This Mini Quilt using Rachel Woodenspoon's Raspberry Kiss Block was made for Mrs Moog as part of a mini quilt swap.  And features low volume fabrics.


The old white on white and cream on cream fabrics were perhaps the first low volume fabrics and whilst I might use these I like to have a little bit more "going on" on my low volume fabrics.

Low volume fabrics are generally used to provide negative space in quilts and modern quilting.  To me negative space is that place where your eye can have a rest from all the colours and designs in a quilt.  The negative space helps the rest of the colours and designs to "pop" and be noticed.

I like using low volume fabrics in my quilts because they provide interest in the background. However be warned once you start using them they do become addictive and another fabric collection is born.  I have a special section in store and on line which is dedicated to Low Volume Fabrics (just in case you catch the low volume bug). 

Currently I am using low volume fabrics in a scrappy bear paw quilt.




So this week's stack is all about low volume fabric and features some of the newer low volume prints in store, as well as some old favourites.


This week's fabrics clockwise from top right are:

Whisper Shadow from Robert Kaufman
Black and White Tiger Stripes by Alexia Marcelle Abegg for Cotton and Steel
In the Jungle by Sevenberry
Kitten's Meow Toile by Heather Rosas
Pythagore from Yuwa
Fashion Magazine White by Suzuko Koseki

This week's low volume stack is available for sale on line here.


2 comments:

Leonie said...

Oh I love love love that mini quilt! So gorgeous! Am such a fan of that pattern. And the scrappy rainbow bearpaws are going to look fab. cant wait to see it! Sadly my stash is always short of low volumes :( these ones look super :)

Rachel said...

You have some wonderful low volume fabrics Lyndy!! Love seeing your raspberry kiss mini!