Saturday, October 30, 2010

screw perfection

Today I did a market and like so many markets there are lots of people who said they would like to craft, sew or whatever but don't because they are scared that what they do will not turn out perfectly - to them and everyone with similar thoughts - I say screw perfection.

Crafting is not about perfection.  Imperfect action is better than perfect inaction.  Random and impefect can be cool and quirky.

This book has a lovely intro...


Stitched in Time by Alicia Paulson (from the introduction and I have paraphrsed a bit here, I hope you don't mind Alicia) " for me, sewing is about enjoying the process, not necessarily making a perfectly executed heirloom.  Perfection is relative. .... if you are new to sewing, don't get hung up on whether something is easy of difficult - I believe in "love at first sight" when it comes to projects.  Pick one that really speaks to you and just jump in.  Allow yourself the freedom to make mistakes - sometimes they can be the most endearing part of the any finished project, and may provide further evidence of your unique personality and skills.
Dreaming about a project and shopping for supplies is a major part of the expereince - sometimes it is even the best part (there I said it)."

Alicia I like your style.

This is a lovely book not just for the ideas and patterns, which are beautiful and accessible, but also for the sentiment.

Happy stitching ... Lyndy

No comments: