Friday, June 18, 2010

my thoughts are elsewhere today

Today my Dad gets out of hospital after almost 6 weeks.  It is a tough day because instead of going home to his house he is moving into a rest home.  He has been diagnosed with Parkinson's and his mobility has diminished dramatically in the last few months, as well as other health issues that mean that he needs some help.  For someone who is so stubborn and fiercely independent, he is being very gracious about the move.  My big sis has gone to Timaru to collect him and fly with him to Nelson.  I will spend some time with them when they pass through Wellington. 

I am looking forward to having him closer.  When he was very sick he promised his girls a feed of oysters in Nelson when we are all together.  I will be there Dad in the next few weeks and we look forward to you keeping up your end of the bargain!

I will leave you with a photo of some of yesterday's sewing.  The Owl Hat.



The fabric was bought last year at the Plunket fabric fundraiser organised by the gorgeous Mindy at Juniper.  It was donated by Thunderpants.  Do you think kids will mind the fact that other people have the same fabric made into knickers?

4 comments:

Cadi said...

Hugs & best wishes to you & your Dad.

Jacqui said...

My father-in-law is having many of the same issues but sadly is not being gracious about it. It makes a hard situation harder, so I'm glad your dad is promising oysters and not fighting the inevitable. I hope I can be as gracious about ageing when I get to that point.

Cute wee hat, I love the fabric! And as long as the fabric wasn't used underpants then I doubt anyone'd have issues.

Unknown said...

All my very best to your dear Dad and may you all enjoy many , many oysters together .

Little Eve said...

Gosh, i wish your father well and you also. It must be a difficult time.