Saturday, September 4, 2010

Aroha to everyone in Christchurch

Christchurch is my hometown and at 4.35 am this morning it was struck by a 7.2 earthquake.  My family is all ok and so far there appears to have been no fatalities.  Thank God it happened in the middle of the night. 


I know of one person who has lost there home and a cousin's dog was crushed by a boulder.  I am sure there will be a lot of stories that come out over the next few days.  I can't believe the photos, the video footage, the devastation - surely it is somewhere else.

Below is a link of one video of some of the destruction. This is not far from where we used to live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HTySEWxbmc

To all my whanau, friends and everyone else in Christchurch our thoughts are with you - stay safe.

4 comments:

emerson-j said...

dont expect this in nz do ya!!! its quite horrible to watch on the news!!

Cadi said...

I was shocked to see pictures of places I visited last year - now destroyed. I hope information on how to help will be forthcoming in the next few days...

Unknown said...

I'm glad your family is ok ! Kindest thoughts to everyone there .

Melinda said...

It is definitely the most terrifying thing I have ever experienced. I don't think I've ever jumped out of bed so fast, barking out instructions to hubby to grab my son while I grabbed my daughter before huddling in the doorway for what felt like hours. Because we didn't have power I didn't even realise how bad it was until we drove around to my MIL's and saw the buckled roads and damaged houses. So scary.