Monday, May 31, 2010

Best Ever Scone Recipe


This is a bold statement I know, but as someone who has been a failed scone maker for many years I feel qualified to make this statement.

This recipe NEVER goes wrong, they are super easy to make and everyone likes them.

4 cups self raising flour
Pinch of salt
300 mls cream*
300 mls water

Pre heat oven to 200 degrees celsius. Sift flour and salt into a bowl, pour in cream and water together and mix.  Place dough on lightly floured flat surface and shape.  Cut out scones and place on tray with baking paper.  Bake for 10-12 minutes.

Serve with jam a nd cream - diet food!  YUM.

*  I know you can get different types of cream overseas - for any overseas readers this cream is liquid but can be whipped (I hope this makes sense).

1 comment:

Jacqui said...

Oh a bold statement indeed! I'll have to test it out. Personally any recipe that doesn't involve butter is a step in the right direction, although I recently discovered grating very cold or frozen butter makes that bit much easier. The last time I tried a recipe with cream they were flat and horrid but yours look lovely and fluffy.

From memory I think for North Americans there are three different kinds of cream - double whipping, whipping and pouring. People want the kind that has the highest amount of butter fat (to substitute for the actual butter) which would be the double whipping cream. Isn't it wonderful that in NZ we only have the one kind with the maximum amount of goodness? :)