Monday, December 20, 2010

Me and Lois Part II - The NZ Christmas Mincemeat

For WandaFish :) if it is good enough for Lois (or her husband) it is surely good enough for me!

NZ Christmas Mincemeat
175g seeded raisins
150g sultanas
100g mixed peel
150g currants
30g almonds blanced, peeled and finely chopped
grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
grated zest and juice of 1 navel orange
1/4 cup brandy
1/4 cup medium sherry
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground ginger
75g butter
150g dark brown sugar
2 large ripe bananas

Put the seeded raisins, sultanas and peel in a processor and pulse until roughly chopped.  Tip out into a large bowl and add the currants, almonds, zests and juices, brandy, sherry and spices.  Melt the butter in a large frying pan over a moderately low heat and use a wooden spoon to stir in the brown sugar.  Peel the bananas and slice finely.  Add to the butter and sugar and stir with a wooden spoon.  As the bananas soften crush them into the butter and sugar mixture.  Continue cooking for several minutes until the mixture is thick and smooth.  Add this mixture to the remaining ingredients.  Stir well and cover.  Leave at room temperature and stir again the next day before putting in a covered plastic container in the fridge.  If possible store for days or weeks before using.  (Not in my last minute house!) Makes enough for 3 dozen mince pies.

I also like the tradition that you can count on a happy month for every Christmas mince pie you eat in a different house (or cafe).  55,56,57..... just kidding! 

Happy eating

2 comments:

Becky (Hazel and Blue) said...

Im sure Wandafish will be very pleased!
I read on another blog recently from a person not from NZ blogger - do we have mincemeat in NZ? It did make me laugh!
Thanks for the recipe,
from a fellow Wellingtonian living in the UK,
Becky:)

WandaFish said...

Yayyyy!!! Woweeee!!!! Shucks, thank you so much, you've really made my day by posting this recipe :)
Oh my gosh, this means I've got to find time to actually make them now!! But I'll have to skid my way through the ice and snow in sub-zero temperatures to buy the ingredients first, lol. Oh well, I don't think I need to sleep much before Christmas - I'm sure I'll manage somehow!!
Seriously, thanks a bunch. Merry Christmas, hope you have a good one.
Angie xx